This post may contain affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, please assume we make a commission. Thank you.
Cornish Hens are a gorgeous, elegant, and photogenic main to serve for dinner! Try them with these 13+ awesome sides!
What are Cornish Hens?
Cornish hens are delicious, they’re also known as Rock Cornish hens - essentially they’re a small breed of chicken. They’re a cross breed of Cornish game hens and White Plymouth Rock hens–but they’re neither hens or game.
They’re a hybrid. They’re usually pretty small-weighing between 1-2 pounds per bird. THey have a slightly higher portion of white meat compared to standard chickens.
Cornish hens are also a single serving. They’re ideal for dinner parties or when you’re feeling fancy. You can stuff them with herbs, stuffing, citrus, or apples.
When to serve Cornish Hens?
These sweet little chickens are best when you’re feeling fancy and for special occasions. So think about serving these at:
Intimate dinners: date night in? Make Cornish Hens! Not only is their presentation impressive, but they’re easy to make.
Holidays: everyone takes photos of their dinner during holiday celebrations. Avoid a boring plate (and photo) by serving these hens. They’re photogenic, delicious, and you’ll wow your guests!
Entertaining guests: they always have a wow-factor, you can’t go wrong with cornish hens and some delicious sides.
BBQ-ing: season them, pop them onto a beer can, and bbq them!
What is the best store bought seasoning for Cornish Hens?
McCormick Montreal Seasoning: cut down on prep time and rub your cornish hens with this legendary seasoning. It’s a classic for a reason, you can get it on Amazon or just get it at the grocery store.
What to serve with Cornish Hens?
Scroll down for 13 side dish ideas to serve with cornish hens, also, here are some ideas:
- Mashed or baked potatoes: this is an easy one, you can make them yourself or buy them at the store. Sometimes adding a store-bought side makes dinner a lot less stressful.
- Salad: this would be my go-to side dish with cornish hens. Because a colorful salad makes the plate look nice and chicken and salad go together as well as P+J.
- Rice: simple steamed rice is the perfect side, especially if you’re making a simple pan gravy to go with the chicken.
- Steamed or roasted veggies: this is an obvious one! Whatever veggie you have on hand should work! Or get a steamer bag from the grocery store for simplicity.
- Soup: this one might not seem obvious, but a side of soup is always nice at dinner. Consider a lentil soup (linked below), potato, chicken noodle, or zuppa toscana.
- Dipping sauce: whip up a dipping sauce that can also go with your salad and veggies (ideas linked below, read on for ideas).