This post contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, we will make a commission. Thank you.
If you’re a buffalo sauce fan, and a Chick-fil-A fan, this Copycat Zesty Buffalo Sauce recipe is for you! This recipe takes just a few ingredients and a few minutes!
I’m very excited about this recipe because I struggle to think of two things I enjoy more than a trip to the Chick-fil-A drive-through and buffalo-flavored things! Case in point: these buffalo chicken meatballs and this buffalo crab dip. Anytime it’s an option, I’m ordering CFA, or something buffalo flavored.
Now, I don’t have to make that difficult choice, because with the roll-out of CFA’s new Zesty Buffalo Sauce, I’m in heaven!
Let's discuss the ingredients:
- Frank’s Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce - if you don’t have Frank’s you can get it right here. Use Frank’s Original Cayenne Hot Pepper Sauce (not their buffalo sauce). The reason is because Frank’s has a unique taste and spiciness level that can’t be replicated with a substitution. For example, Tobasco sauce will be way too hot, sriracha has a totally different flavor profile. Just stick with Frank’s! 🙂
- Butter - for creaminess and flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar - for a bit of “zesty” zing!
- Dijon mustard - for “zesty” zing and it gives it that unique flavor that CFA’s buffalo sauce has.
- Garlic powder - for flavor.
- White sugar - to balance out some of that zing.
The process couldn’t be easier:
In a saucepan over low heat, whisk all of the ingredients together until they’re melted.
Once melted, remove from the heat and allow it to come to room temperature.
Store in a mason jar in the fridge for 2 weeks.
This recipe makes about ½ cup. If you’d like more buffalo sauce please adjust the recipe accordingly!
- Frank’s Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce - Again, this is the one thing I really don’t want you to substitute! if you don’t have Frank’s you can get it right here. If you want to substitute it for something, perhaps a store-brand version that’s comparable to Frank’s would work!
- Butter - you can swap out the butter for extra virgin olive oil if you’d like.
- Apple cider vinegar - you can use white wine vinegar or white vinegar.
- Dijon mustard - this is another ingredient that gives it that signature flavor, I’d prefer you leave it in the recipe but if you don’t have it you can leave it out.
- Garlic powder - you can mince a fresh garlic clove if you’d like. White sugar - you can swap the sugar for 1 tsp of honey.
Buffalo sauce is known for being tangy, spicy and buttery. Of course it’s a classic because it’s delicious, but sometimes you want to switch things up a little?
Try these variations:
- Garlic buffalo sauce: add minced garlic to the recipe for a more complex, garlicky flavor.
- Honey buffalo sauce: add a tablespoon of honey to your buffalo sauce.
- Buffalo ranch: after you make the zesty buffalo sauce, cool it down to room temperature and mix in 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing.
- BBQ buffalo sauce: after you make and cool the zesty buffalo sauce, stir in 2 tablespoons of bbq sauce. (This is delicious, by the way!)
- Cajun buffalo sauce: add a teaspoon of cajun spice blend to the buffalo sauce.
What’s makes Chick-fil-A Buffalo sauce “zesty”?
Citrus and spice. Something is considered “zesty” when it has a lively, bold, exciting flavor. In this recipe the “zesty” flavor comes from the dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar.
This recipe for Buffalo Chicken Thighs pairs perfectly with this sauce!
If you're looking for more Chick-fil-A Copycat or spicy buffalo recipes, try these!
Copycat Chick-fil-A Zesty Buffalo Sauce
- ½ cup Frank’s Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp white sugar
- In a saucepan over low heat, whisk all of the ingredients together until they’re melted.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge for 2 weeks.