This post contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, we will make a commission. Thank you.
Buffalo Crab Dip is a game-day or party hit, every time, without fail! You’re going to love serving this to your guests and they’re going to love this twist on a traditional hot crab dip!
When I say I am a huge *fan* of game day, it has nothing to do with the game, and everything to do with buffalo crab dip! I’m not a sports person, never have been, and likely never will be. But the snacks, I’m there for the snacks. And drinks. Anytime there are snacks and drinks involved, count me in.
This dip is delicious for a few reasons, one being it’s a hybrid of a traditional hot crab dip and buffalo chicken dip. Another being - it’s really not *that* spicy. It has a kick to it, of course, but the buffalo flavor is rather mild. If you’re worried about it being too spicy, half the Frank’s hot sauce.
- Cream cheese - makes up the base of this dip.
- Crab meat - use any kind you like, just be sure to drain any liquid off before adding it to the dip.
- Mozzarella cheese - adds stretchiness and flavor. It’s best to shred the mozzarella yourself, the stuff in the bag doesn’t melt as nicely.
- Mayonnaise - any brand that you like will do.
- Frank’s hot sauce - Frank’s is the best, and definitely helps give this dip the “buffalo” flavor, but any cayenne pepper hot sauce will work in its place.
- Lemon juice - for a slight citrus flavor, it balances out the intensity of the crab meat.
- Garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, pepper, kosher salt - This spice blend adds to the flavor of the dip!
Steps to make buffalo crab dip
- Add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Stir together until combined, or use a hand mixer (that’s what I did).
- Add the ingredients to an 8x8 greased baking dish.
- Cover with foil, bake.
DO I HAVE TO USE FRANK’S HOT SAUCE?
No, but it has the best flavor. Any cayenne pepper sauce will do, just make sure it’s something you like the flavor of!
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE CRAB FOR SMOKED SALMON?
I don’t see why not? That sounds fabulous, but it will certainly taste different.
WHAT IS THE BEST CANNED CRAB TO USE FOR HOT CRAB DIP?
It doesn’t matter the kind you use, but I suggest not using claw meat, it has an intense crab flavor and isn’t as sweet. White, lump, or leg crab meat are your best options for making a dip.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can absolutely make this dip ahead of time!
Simply put it all together and refrigerate. You can make it up to three days in advance. Just follow the directions as they’re written when you’re ready to bake it.
Can I make this in a crockpot?
You can make buffalo crab dip in a crockpot. Just add everything (including the reserved cheese) into the crockpot, and turn it on low for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally.
What should I serve this dip with?
I like to serve it with pretzel thins, chips, baguette, veggies, and toasted pita.
More party + game-day recipes you'll love!
If you make and love this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you leave a star rating! & Please share, & follow along on Pinterest!
Buffalo Crab Dip
- 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 8 oz crab meat drained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese reserve ½ cup for topping, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients (except the reserved cheese) and mix with hand until combined (or use a hand mixer).
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish and add the mixture to the pan. Cover tightly with foil
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Uncover, top with remaining mozzarella cheese, and continue to bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with chips, pita bread, or a toasted baguette.
CROCKPOT INSTRUCTIONS: Place all ingredients into the crockpot (even the reserved cheese) and heat on low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: Before serving, top with fresh cracked pepper, chopped green onions if desired. *Nutrition is calculated automatically therefore are only estimations.
Leave a Reply