This post may contain affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, please assume we make a commission. Thank you.
If you’re having a picnic, get together, or party, chicken salad (esp. this Tarragon Chicken Salad) is a great dish to bring or to serve at your event!
But you might be wondering: what in the world should I serve with chicken salad? Well, I’ve got you covered! We're going to talk about 14 of the best sides to serve with chicken salad, how to serve it, and even some of the best store-bought sides!
- How do you make chicken salad? (recipe)
- Best ways to serve chicken salad
- What sides to serve with chicken salad?
- Best store bought sides to serve with chicken salad
- 14 best sides for chicken salad, chicken salad sandwiches, or chicken salad wraps
- Do you serve chicken salad hot or cold?
- More chicken recipes
- Follow me on Pinterest!
How do you make chicken salad? (recipe)
You can make this Tarragon Chicken Salad, which is an elevated version of the classic. Or you can make this classic version below.
Here is a simple recipe for chicken salad that serves 4:
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, you can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken to make things easier
- ½ cup mayo or Greek yogurt
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, or you could use cut up grapes
- ½ cup pecans, almonds or pistachios
- 1 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste (be sure to use kosher salt)
Simply combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and toss it until it’s mixed together.
Best ways to serve chicken salad
- On lettuce leaves
- As a sandwich
- In wraps or rolls
- In pitas or pita pockets
- On top of salads
- As a dip
- Stuffed in fruit - such as an avocado. Even better: cut a pineapple in half (vertically) and remove the core. Serve the chicken salad in a pineapple. Trust me. This is a winning combo!
What sides to serve with chicken salad?
Keep scrolling for a list of specific sides and recipes, also, here are some quick ideas:
- Salad - although chicken salad calls itself a salad, I’m talking about more of a veggie-based salad here. Toss together (or buy) a salad and heap a spoonful of chicken salad on top. It’s the perfect combo!
- Steamed, roasted, or grilled veggies - this is an obvious one, but it’s one of the best sides for chicken salad! The best pairings are broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and green beans.
- Pita bread - you can slice it in half or into little slices.
- Rice or quinoa - add some extra carbs to your plate with simple rice or quinoa and you’re all set!
- Baked sweet potatoes - or sweet potato fries. This is a great side that will add a little color to your plate.
- Corn chips - for scooping up the chicken salad rather than eating it with a fork or on a bun.
- Rolls or croissants - you can make these yourself or buy them (that would be my preference). Most people love to eat chicken salad on a roll or croissant!
Best store bought sides to serve with chicken salad
Likely if you're throwing a get together or party where you're serving chicken salad, you're busy. You don't need to spend hours making a ton of sides when a quick trip to the grocery store will take care of the food.
Consider these store-bought sides:
- A package of rolls - get some slider-sized rolls, either ready-to-eat or bake-at-home. These are perfect because you can grab a roll and then add some chicken salad right into it!
- Fruit salad - just buy a fruit salad and serve it on the side. It’s a great pairing.
- Croissants - get a package of pre-made croissants from your local deli and slice them in half. Many people love to eat chicken salad on a croissant (try and and you’ll easily see why).
- A pre-assembled bag salad - they have everything you need, pre-portioned and cut. Just simply open the bag, dump the ingredients into a bowl, and give everything a toss.
- Chips - corn chip scoops are a great choice. Some people like to scoop their chicken salad into a chip rather than eat it on a bun (myself being one of them!).
14 best sides for chicken salad, chicken salad sandwiches, or chicken salad wraps
Finally, here are the 14 best homemade sides that you can make to go with chicken salad and chicken salad sandwiches or wraps!
Do you serve chicken salad hot or cold?
Cold, typically. Or at the very least, serve it chilled. You can mix it up while the chicken is still warm, then cover it and pop it into the refrigerator until it’s time to serve it.
More chicken recipes
Looking for more chicken recipes to add to your rotation? Try these!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Let's connect? Follow me on Pinterest! I'm always pinning and it's the best way to keep up with my fresh content!