Jump to Recipe
Is this BBQ sauce from Tennessee? ‘Cause it’s the only 10-I-see.
I’m a sucker for BBQ sauce, but only of the Tennessee variety. I like it a little spicy, a little sweet, and with a big vinegary kick!
Whole 30! Let’s talk about that!
Can plant-based eaters take part in it? I’m going to say, yes! Whole 30 is challenging for plant-based people, but as you’ll see, it’s possible to make a Whole30 meal.
Recently, I had a brunch where I knew that two of my friends were on the Whole30 diet and I wanted to make them feel included. So, I made BBQ jackfruit sweet potatoes as a main dish.
I know that fruit intake should be limited on Whole30, but this seems to be compliant (please correct me if I’m wrong, though).
This BBQ sauce isn’t your typical Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. It’s date-sweetened, easy, and comes together in less than 15 minutes!
Seriously, I know. It’s incredible and unbelievable. And it’s not just for Whole30 people, it’s for everyone.
You can use this BBQ sauce a few ways (and don’t feel limited to these suggestions):
- on veggie burgers (maybe even this buffalo chickpea burger?)
- fry dipping sauce
- cauliflower wings
- jackfruit bbqs with a simple lime slaw – I like to get my jackfruit from Trader Joe’s, not Amazon (It’s overpriced)
- on pulled jack sweet potatoes (a plant-based Whole30 meal)
Did I mention that this is EASY?!?!
It is the EASIEST bbq sauce I’ve ever made. It just requires blending a handful of ingredients, and then heating the puree in a saucepan.
WHOLE30 TENESSEE BBQ SAUCE
- 8 medjool dates pitted
- 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos if not worried about Whole30 compliance, use soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
- salt + pepper optional + to taste
- add all of the ingredients (except optional) to a food processor or blender + blend until pureed
- add to a small sauce pan and whisk over medium heat for five minutes, if the bbq sauce is too thick add a tbsp or two of water to thin it out
- serve immediately
- snap a picture, tag @plantsdish on IG!