A classic recipe that you’d literally have to be crazy not to love! This Vegan Stovetop Cheesy Rice and Broccoli is creamy, warm, and packs a plant-based protein punch!
VEGAN STOVETOP CHEESY BROCCOLI AND RICE
Seriously, it’s good. It’s cheesy, it’s creamy, and it’s so filling! Most people consider this a side dish but in my opinion it’s a main dish. It’s hard to believe that all of this can be achieved without any actual cheese or dairy!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY BROCCOLI AND RICE
The process is very easy, but you do need cooked rice. It doesn’t matter if it’s freshly made or leftover from the previous night. Either will work wonderfully. I’ve tried and tested both and can confirm that it doesn’t matter, but I recommend an al dente rice to start.
Soaking the cashews overnight and then rinsing them or boiling them for about five minutes before adding them to the blender. I have a high powered blender and I typically skip this step.
When sauteeing broccoli and onion make sure that they’re fully cooked to your preference before adding the rice and the cheesy sauce. It doesn’t matter if you’re using fresh or frozen ingredients, just customize the time to suit your needs and preferences.
I used navy beans for my sauce, but you could also use great northern or cannellini as well. But I don’t recommend using garbanzo, that would change the flavor too much and probably just remind you of hummus rice.
YOU’LL LOVE IT BECAUSE
You really are going to love this dish! It’s nostalgic, and reminds me of a much healthier version of those pre-packaged cheesy rice bowls that I would eat in college after rolling in at one a.m., ya know?
- + Damn delicious.
OTHER PLANT-BASED RECIPES TO TRY
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content follow me on Pinterest!
Vegan Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole (Stovetop)
FOR THE CHEESY SAUCE
- 1/2 cup navy beans cooked, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked for five minutes in hot water if not using a high powered blender
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce optional
- 3 cups cooked rice any kind
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or replace with water or wine for sauteeing
- combine all of the ingredients for the cheesy sauce in a blender and blend on high for two minutes or until it's completely smooth (you don't want chunks)
- in a medium sauce pan, add broccoli florets, chopped onion, and water or olive oil over medium heat. sautee for about ten minutes or until the onion and broccoli is fully cooked
- add the cooked rice and cheesy sauce to the pan and continute to stir over medium heat for ten minutes
- salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- I like to serve this rice with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, jalapeños, and chopped red onions. This is completely optional, though.