There’s a good chance you have everything on hand to make this simple vegan corn chowder!
**This post contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, I’ll make a commission. Thanks for supporting this site!
These days, I’m valuing time, simple ingredients, warmth and health. That’s exactly what this simple vegan corn chowder provides!
Not sure about you, but I’ve been reading a lot more lately. Trying to avoid the news, yet also trying pretty hard to stay in touch with all the things. The things aren’t pleasant, so naturally also seeking out the fluffier pieces. I like the food articles, this probably doesn’t shock you. Needless to say there really aren’t a lot of vegan or plant based recipes in publications (maybe I’ll change this). Anyway, I noticed a lot of talk about “balanced flavors” and “profiles”.
I don’t have any formal culinary training, and as far as I can see, I don’t envision that for myself. But I know what I like, you know what you like, and I love to allow a lot of room in my recipes for flexibility, experimentation, and person preference.
Never feel as if you have to follow a recipe to a T. Some people feel much more comfortable following a recipe, and that works too. If you follow the recipe to a T, it’ll come out absolutely perfect.
FOR GLUTEN FREE
This soup isn’t gluten free, it calls for flour. But if you don’t have it or if you’re GF, there are some workarounds.
SKIP IT: You can skip the four entirely, this will leave you with a thin(er) soup. It’ll be delicious, but if you prefer a thicker GF soup, you can use GF flour, or…
USE ARROWROOT POWDER OR CORNSTARCH: Make a slurry and add it to the soup before serving. Simply mix two tablespoons of starch with cold liquid and whisk until it’s completely smooth. Then pour the slurry into the soup and stir until it’s thickened.
DON’T SKIP THE BLEND
This is a step that you don’t want to skip, you’re going to want to blend at least half of this soup. It adds a deeper “flavor profile”, so to speak. If you like your soup sip-able, blend all of it!
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
OTHER @PLANTSDISH RECIPES TO TRY
- FIRE ROASTED TOMATO + LENTIL SOUP
- VEGAN POTATO + LEEK SOUP
- EASY CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH ROASTED CHICKPEAS
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and feedback. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content, follow me on Pinterest!
Vegan Corn Chowder
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 5-8 small red potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds) diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-3 drops liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven (or soup pot) over medium heat, add the olive oil, potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and thyme, continue to saute for about a minute then add the dry white wine, broth, and corn kernels. Bring to a simmer, cover, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Then trasnsfer the pureed soup back to the pot. Add the maple syrup, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, and coconut milk. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.