Tempeh bacon is ultra-flavorful, perfect in vegan breakfast sandwiches, vegan BLT’s, and in breakfast burritos.
***For your convenience, I’ve included affiliate links. If you a click a link and make a purchase, I will make a commission. Thank you for supporting this site!
You’re going to love this tempeh bacon, it’s flavorful, salty, sweet, and pretty much everything you want in terms of bacon flavor.
UM, WHAT’S TEMPEH?
Tempeh is essentially a block of semi-cooked, fermented soybeans. It’s not a meat substitute, but you can certainly use it in place of meat for a meat-y texture. It originated in India thousands of years ago, and it really needs to make a big, kick-ass comeback.
HOW TO COOK TEMPEH BACON
The trick to making tempeh amazing is steaming it a bit to take away some of the bitterness and then cooking it so that it’s slightly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Similar to the way that you might cook tofu.
I’m not going to lie–it takes some skill to cook tempeh well. But anyone can do it–you just have to follow a few simple steps outlined in the recipe and it’ll be perfection.
You can make tempeh bacon by baking or frying. Either one will turn out great–but let me just say, I prefer to bake it, it turns out perfect each time and frying it takes a bit of effort, but it’s quicker and it involves oil.
If you’re avoiding oil, I suggest baking the tempeh. But if you’re in a time crunch, frying will do the trick, too.
HELPFUL INGREDIENTS + TOOLS
OTHER @PLANTSDISH RECIPES TO TRY
IF YOU’RE LOVING THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and comment. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content follow me on Pinterest!
- 1 8 ounce package of original or multigrain tempeh horizontally-sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke
- 1 pinch smoked paprika optional
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
FOR THE TEMPEH
- Combine maple syrup, soy sauce/tamari/coconut aminos, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil, liquid smoke, smoked paparika, red pepper flakes in a bowl. Add the sliced tempeh and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the tempeh and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway thorugh.
FOR PAN FRYING
- In a cast iron skillet (or regular skillet), heat 2 tablespoons of neutral-tasting oil over medium heat.
- Add the marinated tempeh to the pan and cook for 3-6 minutes on each side, or until crispy.