Sweet and sour cauliflower has something of a ring to it, doesn’t it?
**This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you click a link and make a purchase, I’ll make a small commission. Thank you for supporting this site!
This recipe is amazing for so many reasons. It doesn’t contain any refined sugar (it’s sweetened with dates and pineapple juice, I see no reason to add sugar). It’s delicious. Fairy quick. Incredible over rice or as a standalone. It can be a full meal or an appetizer. You should fold these into some tacos and have sweet and sour cauliflower tacos with a little chopped red cabbage and cilantro. Or lettuce wraps or burritos with rice!
Okay, I have so many ideas as to how you can use these sweet and sour cauliflower bites! I’ll let you decide how you would like them best! Let me just say–tacos are my personal preference.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SOUR CAULIFLOWER
It’s easy, it just requires a handful of ingredients (that you probably have right now):
Medium head of cauliflower
Pineapple juice (drained from canned pineapples or fresh)
(and red pepper flakes if you like a little heat, this ingredient is optional.
See what I mean? I love eating a not-horrible-for-you sauce smothered all over my roasted, but firm, cauliflower.
IS THIS RECIPE WHOLE30 COMPLIANT?
No, but simply swap the soy sauce for coconut aminos and it will be!
This sweet and sour cauliflower is great served as an appetizer with some sliced green onions or toasted sesame seeds as garnish.
Or, to make it more of a complete meal, I suggest serving over rice, quinoa, on a salad, or in taco shells with some chopped cabbage and cilantro.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
OTHER @PLANTSDISH RECIPES THAT MAY INTEREST YOU
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and feedback. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content, follow me on Pinterest!
Sweet and Sour Cauliflower
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 medjool dates pitted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice drained from a can of pineapples in 100% juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch/powder or cornstarch
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
FOR THE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Drizzle the olive oil onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread the cauliflower evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes on each side.
FOR THE SWEET + SOUR SAUCE
- Combine all other ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend on high until completely smooth and transfer to a pan over medium heat. Whisk continuously until thick (this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes).
- Turn the burner off and toss the roasted cauliflower in the sauce. Top with desired garnishes and serve.