You're going to fall in love with this quick and easy baba ganoush!
This quick and easy baba ganoush will blow your mind! This baba ganoush is best made with all of the classic ingredients--but comes together in under 30 minutes with just a handful of ingredients!
WHAT'S BABA GANOUSH?
Baba ganoush gets a lot of hate from Americans. At least, the Americans I know throw a lot of hate and shade toward this Levantine appetizer.
It could be because it’s not always made correctly, sometimes it’s very wet, sometimes it’s missing that traditional smoky flavor, and sometimes it’s just not right.
HOW TO MAKE BABA GANOUSH QUICKLY AND EASILY
Here’s the thing: baba ganoush is a lot like hummus, except instead of using chickpeas, we use a grilled eggplant. For this recipe, you will need a gas or propane grill--I think you get the best results this way and I really don't like the roasting and straining version. Typically, you roast the whole eggplant over a flame, let it cool, peel it, and then let the excess liquid drain.
I like to shorten the process by eliminating a few steps. I like to peel the eggplant, slice it into thin strips, and then just lay it right on the grill. If you do it this way, there’s no need to do any draining of excess liquid or peeling of a hot cooked eggplant.
Once the eggplant strips are grilled, you simply transfer them to a blender with lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and some spices and blend it until it’s very smooth.
I like this brand of tahini, it tastes the best, but any tahini will do.
It’ll look a lot like hummus when it’s done, but it’s in a flavor category of its own. It’s much more neutral than hummus, and the texture is thinner.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BABA GANOUSH
I like to serve mine with warm pita bread, firm sliced veggies, and I think it’s great dolloped on top of a salad or in a Mediterranean dish with falafel.
OTHER @PLANTSDISH RECIPES TO TRY
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and feedback. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content, follow me on Pinterest!
Quick and Easy Baba Ganoush
- Gas Grill
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small-medium eggplants peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 lemon juiced
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Cut the skin off of your eggplant and then discard. Slice the peeled eggplant into ¼ inch thick strips and drizzle with salt and olive oil.
- Place the eggplant spaced out on the grill for five minutes on each side. Turn the grill off and add the grilled eggplant to a food processor or blender with the tahini, cumin, smoked paprika, lemon juice, and garlic. Blend until it's very smooth.
- If desired, top with olive oil, salt, chopped cilantro, and lemon wedges. I recommend serving this dip with firm vegetables and warm pita bread.