Retire your boring breakfast and make this subtly spicy poblano tofu scramble your new go-to!
***This post contains affiliate links. For your convenience, at no extra cost, if you click a link and make a purchase, I’ll make a small commission. Thank you for supporting this site!
Who’s ready to change up their breakfast routine? I mean, oatmeal, bagels, toast, and smoothies are great, of course. But sometimes you want something a little more flavorful, savory, and filling.
That’s where this poblano tofu scramble comes in! It’s:
+ Freakin’ delicious.
Everyone will love this scramble. It’s for vegans, vegetarians, carnivores, and KIDS!
Tofu scramble tastes better than “real” scrambled eggs, there I said it! But only if made correctly. This tofu scramble features a mildly spicy poblano pepper, garlic, firm tofu, salsa, lime juice, nutritional yeast, and a blend of spices.
A FEW WORDS ABOUT PREP
TOFU: Use firm tofu for the best tofu scramble. I think that it absorbs the flavors better than extra firm, and I think anything less than “firm” isn’t firm enough. Firm tofu is the sweet spot for a tofu scramble. Buy organic if you can! I like Trader Joe’s brand.
Additionally, you should press the tofu for about thirty minutes before making this scramble. Some will suggest that you don’t need to press tofu before making a scramble, and truthfully you don’t, but it won’t taste as great. I suggest pressing the tofu with this bamboo tofu press, or simply wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel and place something heavy (such as a cast iron skillet) on top.
NUTRITIONAL YEAST: Sometimes it’s referred to as “nooch” because nutritional yeast sounds horrible unappetizing, but I promise you, IT’S AWESOME. Essentially nooch is deactivated and fortified yeast flakes that just so happen to have a “cheesy” flavor. If you’ve never heard of it, I urge you to give it a try!
I like Bob’s Red Mill brand, you can find it right here.
SALSA: I used my mild salsa verde for this recipe. But you can use any salsa that you like. If you don’t want your scramble to be too spicy, I suggest that you use a mild salsa. If you like a little (or a lot) of heat in the morning, definitely use a medium-hot salsa.
OTHER PLANT BASED RECIPES TO TRY
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and comment. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content follow me on Pinterest!
Poblano Tofu Scramble
- 1 16 oz firm tofu organic, if possible!
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper thinly sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Press tofu for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, salsa, onion powder, maple syrup, soy sauce, turmeric, and nutritional yeast.
- In a pan over medium heat, add oilive oil, garlic, poblano peppers, and onion. Saute, stirring frequently, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the block of tofu to the pan and break it apart with your spatula until it resembles scrambled eggs/bite size pieces. Then add your sauce, stirring frequently, until coated and absorbed (about 5 minutes). If things get dry add a splash of water.
- Salt + pepper to taste, serve immediately.
*Featured graphic novel from Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall