You can make almond milk yogurt labneh (vegan + gluten-free) with only five minutes of hands-on work! It’s so easy, let me show you how!
***For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links. This means: at no extra cost to you, if you click a link and make a purchase I’ll make a commission. Thank you for supporting this site!
WHAT IS VEGAN LABNEH?
Almond milk yogurt labneh (vegan + gluten-free) is essentially super-strained yogurt, more strained than greek yogurt into a cheese-like consistency. But what is the difference between yogurt and Labneh? The main differentiating feature is the texture, Labneh has the consistency of an ultra-smooth cheese-like spread, making it easier to spread on fresh pita, pita chips (like these Everything Seasoned Baked Pita Chips), bagels, or as a plated dip with toppings. Sometimes I use Labneh in place of cream cheese in baking, too.
Sometimes labneh is called “yogurt-cheese” but honestly, it doesn’t taste like cheese. The consistency, however, is very cheese-like!
Why make your own labneh? You certainly don’t have to, you can buy it, but vegan labneh is so hard to find! Which is probably the reason that I set out to make it on my own. Plus, you can customize it however you want to. It’s typically served with Za’atar spice and quality olive oil, but I chose to serve mine with fresh dill, dried cranberries, maple syrup, olive oil, and a dash of cayenne (crazy, maybe!).
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN LABNEH (VEGAN + GLUTEN-FREE)
- Unsweetened almond milk yogurt (I used Silk brand because it’s super accessible)
- Food-grade cheesecloth (or a fresh tea towel/cloth napkin)
- A strainer
- A deep bowl or pan
You likely have most of these things at home, the only thing that you likely don’t have is the food-grade cheesecloth, and you can get that right here.
YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THIS LABNEH
You really are going to love this recipe. It’s going to change your life because it’s an amazing dip and it’s also great in place of cream cheese (which is
- Gluten-free + sugar free
- Elegant and customizable
- + Damn delicious.
OTHER PLANT-BASED DIPS TO TRY
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content follow me on Pinterest!
Almond Milk Yogurt Labneh (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
- 3 cups almond milk yogurt unsweetened/plain
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional, but recommended
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Line a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth or a clean tea towel/cloth napkin.
- In a bowl, combine the almond milk yogurt, salt, and (optional) lemon juice. Transfer the mixture (gently) onto the cheese cloth and tie it at the top.
- Suspend the strainer in a bowl with enough room at the bottom for the excess liquid to avoid contact with the strainer. Allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. The longer it rests, the thicker (more cheese-like) it will become.
- After the resting period, store the labneh in an airtight container (such as a mason jar), or serve immediately with desired toppings. See the recipe notes for topping suggestions. ENJOY!